Monday, July 7, 2008

Rain rain go away!

And don't come back tomorrow either!

I received a call at 5:45 this morning from a co-worker wondering why I was not at work when I had not originally been scheduled to be there. I started out the door thinking I would follow my normal routine of scooting to work, only to find a downpour on my doorstep (incidentally, the rain was falling on everything else outside too). So this morning I was relegated to driving to work in my beat up 2002 Cavalier. Note that my Chevy would not be quite so beat up if people would get out of the practice of hitting it...while it is parked.

So, I got to work and stumbled through my morning routine, hoping that at some point I might actually wake up. Understand that I work in a group home for persons with developmental disabilities and I am one of the staff who give them their medications. It's not necessarily recommended that one be asleep during the administration of medications to another person.

After the men had gone their merry ways and departed to their day programs, I went home for a brief nap, then went back to work again in my car as the rain had not had the good grace to stop and had, in fact, grown more intense.

Having found my second wind I went through the process of filling the home's larders, something I am responsible for semi-weekly, and replenishing other supplies.

I must say though, the highlight of my day was sitting outside the home with a client waiting for his family to pick him up for a meal at a local restaurant. We sat and watched the clouds (now that the storms had passed), and enjoyed the beautiful array of colors, not to mention the sound of the birds singing in the trees. I would point to a specific cloud formation and he would say "oooh!" or "Oh wow!"

So often I get caught up in the busy hubbub of life. The childlike exclamations of enjoyment of the colors of clouds from a man with "lower than average intellect" were a potent reminder that sometimes we should slow down and enjoy the simple things.

No comments: