Wednesday, July 16, 2008

About me...

Ok, here goes, the obligatory, boring, "this is me" post.

I'll try to keep it short, but I realized that here I've been blogging for a little over a week and haven't really said anything about myself.

I'm pretty much your average guy I suppose. I live to be outdoors most of the year, which means I'm either hunting, fishing, gardening, or on my scooter (now that I have one) at any opportunity.

I'm a bit of a gun nut and have a small collection of firearms, including a 357 Daniel Wesson revolver, a Bersa Thunder 380, a Ruger Mark II target pistol (.22 lr), an NEF 12 gauge pump, and a Savage .22lr.

I'm married (happily), with an 11 year old son. He's adopted but most people have no idea when they look at him. He came to us through foster care and we adopted him two years ago. He loves to be wherever I am, and even has his own little helmet for takin' rides on the scoot. He's really a great kid and I'm blessed to be his dad. Unfortunately, he has his share of problems. His birth-mom drank while she was pregnant with him, so he has some of the effects of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS). For one thing, FAS causes developmental delays, so he is very small for his age. He also has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) from the abuse he suffered prior to living with us. It's a journey, certainly, but a tremendously rewarding one.

My wife is a public school teacher with a Master's degree in Elementary Education. She wants to get her Doctorate eventually, but I convinced her to wait until I get a master's of my own.

I work in a group home for persons with developmental disabilities. I am the "Lead Advisor" there which means I am responsible for making sure the home is provisioned with food stuffs and other supplies. I also am responsible for taking care of the money for the men in the home, as well as sundry other responsibilities, including about 25 hours on shift each week, helping the residents with their meals, medications, daily routines, and so on. The pay is horrible, but the non-monetary rewards are priceless.

So, that is my life in a nutshell. Not much to tell, but it's what I have to work with, and I'm happy with it. :)

No comments: