Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mapping a route

Well, I have started to map a route for my upcoming trip to Massachusetts. The route looks promising, except for a stretch along 222 (not 22 as previously written) just north of Allentown. It looks like the only 4 lane I will be unable to avoid. I'm using Google maps and Google earth in conjunction to double check my route, and so far it looks pretty promising.

I'm looking forward to this trip. It should be liesurely and relaxing. I figure it will take me at least one full day, or possibly a day and a morning. I know I will need to stop every hour or two to rest my rear, and I will need to keep myself hydrated, but I want to prove to myself that I can do it. I also want to really enjoy the trip and not feel rushed.

I generally get between 95-100 mpg riding by myself, but with added weight from my backpack and my gear, I expect to get between 85-90 mpg (which is what I get when my 65 lb son rides with me). For this reason, I will take an extra one or two gallon gas can along with me. I figure, the trip is a bit over 300 miles, and while I am sure to see gas stations between here and there, what happens if I get stuck in the middle of nowhere because I've run out of gas and haven't seen a station in the last 100 miles.

My only other major concern is, what if I get a flat? But again, I'm willing to take the risk for the experience alone, if for no better reason.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Paul, how familiar are you with 22 near Allentown? You really don't want to be on it with a 50cc during either the morning or afternoon rush hours. I've driven it in my car during those times, and it's scary enough in the cage with the locals whizzing by and cutting you off left and right. The posted limit is 55 but the traffic moves bumper to bumper in both lanes at around 70 mph. Mid afternoon might be a good time to try to squeeze through there, or maybe consider rerouting to use Tilghman St. or Hamilton St. through the Allentown area.

Good luck on the trip and keep us posted!

Marc said...

+1 on using Tighlman St., Hamilton St. or "Old" Route 22. The "regular" Route 22's posted speed limit is 55 mph, but most people (and truckers) do 70-75 mph. You would literally be taking your life in your hands.

Scootin' Fool said...

My bad, I just noted that was a typo. It should have read 222. The stretch south west of Allentown.