Thursday, September 25, 2008

Second day at 150cc (plus windlight update)

I rode my Kymco People 150 about 70 miles today, and I loved every second of it. I took her out on the highway again, but today was rather windy, so I kept to about 55 - 60 mph. The Scooter itself was completely stable and didn't seem at all perturbed by the wind, but the wind was buffeting me pretty well to the point where it felt like it was going to knock me off the scooter, even with the large windshield I attached (the same one I had on my Vino). It's something to be aware of for longer rides on windy days.

I did note that the odometer seemed to be going very quickly, and I checked in at Trans-Am cycle to see if they could give me an explanation (though I already suspected the answer), and, as I had suspected, the scooter came equipped with an odometer that counts kilometers, not miles. That's only a minor inconvenience, and I've seen other scooters with the same issue.

The only other thing I noticed is this strange tendency the scooter has to exceed the speed limit. It's the scooter's doing, not mine! I think it's a factory defect, but I'm not going to take it back!

As to the windlight, it seems to not flicker brightly enough to be seen during the daylight hours. It is certainly bright enough to be seen at night; however, according to a friend, it's not as bright as the scooter's tail light. For $10 +S&H, though, I think it's still a good option.

3 comments:

Marc said...

Just multiply your Km x .621371 and that will give you the mile equivalent.

You can also go here: http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/length

If you join the Yahoo Kymco forum (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kymcoscooterforum), there is an Excel spreadsheet that will do the math for you to calculate an ongoing MPG tally.

I don't know how familiar you are with the Genuine Blur, but owners joke that their odometers measure in "BMU" (Blur Measurement Units), because they have no correlation to kilometers or miles.

Ride safe.

Scootin' Fool said...

Thanks for the info. I was already aware of the conversion ratio though. That's why I said it was only a minor inconvenience. That calculator on the Yahoo kymco group might be handy though. Thanks again.

Marc said...

Paul -- my pleasure! We Kymco owners have to stick together. :D I'm waiting for the decals I ordered to finally arrive so I can get 'em on and take proper photos and post over at UrbanScootin.

And yes, my Kymco *also* measures in Km.