Monday, September 1, 2008

Gas price complacency

In talking to a couple of different scooter sales guys, it seems that scooter sales have slowed a bit since gas prices dropped to around $3.50. I bought mine when gas was around $3.50 since I was finally able to convince my wife that we could not afford to pay $40.00+ a week to fill my car up with gas, so I don't really understand why $3.50 isn't a big deal, but $4.00 a gallon is.

A scooter makes a big difference in the gas outlay. It's been a blessing for my family to not have to pay so much for gas. I still use my car about once or twice a week, but my scooter is not only cheaper to operate, it's a whole lot more fun.

Since gas prices are starting to creep back up again, I wouldn't be surprised to see scooter sales take off again. When the cold weather hits, it will be interesting to see what happens to the scooters that have been purchased over the last few months. My guess is that we'll see a bunch of 50cc scoots up on Craigslist since many middle-class Americans are too short sighted to think far enough into the next year and will be unable to see the benefits of keeping their scooter until they can ride it again. Additionally, many will be unwilling to ride during the cold months because it's just plain...well...cold!

I'll admit, cold weather riding can be brutal. I've only had some small experience with it since I bought by scoot in April, but that was enough for me to learn that I needed to bundle up good to ride in the cold. Even bundled up, it can still be a little uncomfortable. I may swallow my claustrophobia and get a full face helmet for the winter months, just so I don't freeze my chin off. I'll keep my Fulmer 3/4 helmet for the rest of the year though since I like the feeling of the wind on my face.

Back to the topic at hand, it's kinda sad that our society is so addicted to having bigger and better things that we drive ourselves into debt to do so. I have nothing against another person having a bigger vehicle than I do. That's their choice, even if I think it's excessive. I haven't necessarily been the best example of frugality, but I do think there comes a point when one really has to cut back and consider the future, instead of simply living in the moment.

No comments: