Monday, September 1, 2008

Hunting season!

It's here! One of my favorite times of year. The first day of Dove and Goose season.

I know, I'm evil because I hunt defenseless birdies.

Now that we have that out of the way, there are some foods you can only get from nature. Dove, goose, venison, rabbit, and duck aren't exactly foods one can acquire economically from their local supermarket, so I go out and get them for myself.

My son and I went out this afternoon for a little while and trudged around a local field (with the landowner's permission). We didn't see anything since it was a little hot, but maybe we'll go back later this evening before sunset.

There's a certain something about being out in the fresh air, whether it be on a scooter, by the side of a stream, in the middle of the woods, or out in the middle of a field. Add being outdoors to the age old tradition of taking game from the wild to provide for one's family and one has the perfect combination.

No comments: