Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Happy Day!

Well, I broke down and traded in the flying cranberry. I'd had one too many close calls with stupid motorists, so I picked up a Kymco People 150 today.

I've christened it, "The Silver Streak" and hope it is able to live up to its name, though if my highway experience today is any indication, I am not going to be displeased with my choice. Yes, that's right, I rode a scooter on the highway! She is stable all the way up to 65. I didn't go past that point since it's a brand new scooter and I didn't want to screw anything up. Acceleration is very peppy. I was actually kind of surprised. Maybe I am just so used to the acceleration of the 50cc, but even with just a touch of throttle (I don't think I've had her above 1/3 throttle yet), the streak responds magnificently.

She has 16" tires and they have very good tread on them, so stability and traction are fantastic. I don't feel all wobbly like I used to on the 50cc. I was saddened to trade in my other scooter, but I am very pleased with my new one.

The only gripe I have about the Kymco People 150 is the storage space, or better yet, lack of storage space. It has a small glove compartment, which is great, but the trunk under the seat is very...limited, shall we say. It might hold a half helmet, but that's about it. so, I will definitely be getting a top case for it, and might eventually pick up some saddlebags.

Otherwise, the seat is nice and big, which means, once I get my M license, my son will be able to ride with me in comfort.

I had been looking at the People S 200, but it was a bit more than I wanted to pay, and for the additional 11cc's over the People 150, it just wasn't worth it. The People 150 is actually 152cc's while the People 200 is not anywhere near 200cc, but rather just a 163cc. I had gone to the dealer thinking I would end up with the People S 200, since he hadn't had a 150 the last time I was there, but I was tickled pink to see the 150 sitting there.

I will continue to provide info about the scooter as I break it in, and even after that. So far though, I am very impressed with the fit and finish, and with the handling. The storage issues are forgivable in light of those factors.

No comments: