Monday, September 29, 2008

300km and planned solo ride

Well, I passed 300 km on the odometer today, so, as recommended in the owner's manual, I changed the motor oil and the tranny oil in the new scoot today. The oil changes were a snap, and the scooter runs very well.

I took it to fill up the gas, and was shocked to find that I got over 100 mpg, again. It's amazing to me that I've gotten better fuel economy out of a 150cc scooter than I was able to achieve with the 50cc Vino. Of course, I ran the Vino at top speed much of the time, which reduced the fuel economy. I run the Kymco at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle most of the time, which probably makes the difference.

Overall, the last several days with the Kymco have been more than pleasant. As previously mentioned, it is easy to ride, stable, and peppy. I've tested acceleration against a friend's Jetta, which has a standard transmission, and found that my People 150 outpaces the other vehicle, even though my friend was trying pretty hard. Once we hit the top end, the Jetta took the advantage, but low end acceleration was one of the major reasons for getting the faster scooter.

This weekend I'll be riding solo up to Clearfield county to test the long distance performance of the Kymco. Route 322 is about 70% highway driving between here and there, but it should still be doable. I'll probably stop to rest and take pictures along the way, after all, it's beautiful country.

Upon my return I will post pictures and a full report on the Kymco People 150's highway and long distance performance.

No comments: