Monday, November 17, 2008

Scootsickle!

The weather outside is...freezing, but it hasn't kept me from gettin' on the scoot to ride.

People keep asking me if I'm cold, and after my teeth stop chattering enough so I can answer, I say, "No, not really."

That's not 100% true, in fact, I hardly feel the cold. It helps to have some facial fur and a heavy coat, and my windshield is priceless. I also wear several layers. Even my feet don't seem to get cold due to the nice fairing in front of them, despite the holes in my Crocs (Yukon style). Yes, I know, Crocs are technically a sandal and are nowhere near being protective gear, but they are insanely comfortable and I'm on my feet at work for 10 to 12 hours some days, which requires a comfy pair of shoes.

Getting back to the topic of winter clothing, It's possible to ride a scooter in cold weather and not feel the full effect of the low temperatures. I wear a simple canvas jacket from Wal-Mart, with a hooded sweatshirt and at least one more shirt under that. On my hands, I wear a pair of suede leather driving gloves with a fleece lining. For pants, a pair of blue jeans does the trick, again, because of the fairing.

When riding in the cold, the wind is your enemy. Unlike a motorcyclist, a scootster's legs are protected from the wind. A decent windshield (the taller the better), ensures that one's chest is protected as well. It's also important to have a decent helmet with a face shield. Some scooters come with hand shields, but if yours is not equipped with them, heavy leather gloves are recommended.

Leather seems to be one of the most wind resistant materials. If you need any proof, look at cows, they wear it all year long. Unfortunately, if you're like me, and you can't shell out $300 for a leather riding jacket, heavy materials are good. I'm partial to canvas since it's very sturdy. The trick with woven materials is to layer them. It works well for hunting, and the concept transfers well to riding a scooter.

I rode my scoot over 40 miles today. The temperature ranged from around 30 degrees when I awoke, to 40 degrees in the afternoon. With all my gear on, the weather was little more than a mild inconvenience.

2 comments:

Steve C. said...

I always wear a motorcycle jacket and a full-face helmet and gloves all year round. Like you, jeans are just fine for my rides to work when winter blows in to central Ohio.

My jacket (FieldSheer Aqua Sport TX) is waterproof and windproof with vents and has a zip-out liner so I can use it all year long. It, of course, has CE armor and will protect me from the scrapes and bumps almost as well as the weather. Bought it on sale for less than $75.

In the winter I switch from my summer mechanics gloves to insulated mechanics gloves. Far less expensive than leather riding gloves these give me warmth, protection and the ability to still use my fingers for fine tasks.

I switched from a 3/4 helmet to a full face Gmax helmet this Fall simply for safety. It has the added benefit of being quite a bit warmer for winter as well.

Its good to see... er... hear... well... read any way that there are others still scootin' even though the flakes are flyin'.

Stay warm and stay safe!

Lee said...

I've been wanting to get together with you for a ride, but my schedule isn't letting me.
I wear a goose down jacket that would melt in a fire. It is very warm, but that's it.
I have heavy leather motorcycle gloves (Lanc Honda), and a thing that is like a dickey. It has a hood that goes under the helmet and covers my face if I choose.
I went out today over to Manheim from East Pete, looking for something, and ended up covering a few more miles than I wanted. But, I was warm, and the Helix loved it.
32 degrees and overcast.