Monday, August 11, 2008

Two wheels good, four wheels baaad!

I helped out with my Church's Day Camp today. It was nice to have something to do to take my mind off all of the things with which it is currently occupied. I had followed my wife to her school so I could help her take some things to her classroom. I then scooted up to Woodcrest retreat where the camp is being held. It was a great day for a ride since it was very cool. The wind felt wonderful and the hum of the engine beneath me had a calming effect.

Riding gives me time to pause, reflect, and pray. My mind was able to fully enjoy all three excercises this morning and I really needed the mental reprieve.

I don't really have the same experience in a car. There are too many distractions inside a car. Even if only the radio is going, it's difficult to really focus. On my scoot, there are no such distractions unless I create them. Sure, I carry a bottle or can of something wet, but I'll take a drink at a light or stop sign since controlling a scooter one handed isn't very easy.

I'm looking forward to riding in again tomorrow. I truly hope it is a nice enough day to ride.

2 comments:

Joe said...

"Riding gives me time to pause, reflect, and pray."

You're so right! There's something sublime about riding and thinking, pondering, questioning, praying, and just talking to God Who's always along for the ride. I thought I was weird when I started riding and found myself feeling so much more open to introspection and prayer. It didn't seem like there could be a connection, but there truly is and I ride as much for the opportunity to enjoy the quiet time alone in my head and heart as for the fun of it or to get from place to place.

-Joe

Scootin' Fool said...

Glad to have a kindred spirit. :)