Monday, August 11, 2008

Stanley Park

While in Massachusetts, as short as my stay there was, I did take my son and nephews to a beautiful little park in Westfield called Stanley Park. It seems to be the only park I have ever found that is anything like it. The park was built by Stanley Beverage (founder of Stanley Home Products) as a retreat for his employees. There are picnicking facilities, gardens, several ponds, a large recreation area with soccer fields, a mini-golf course, basketball courts, a large playground, tennis courts and multiple different gardens.

Here is the Mill pond and the lumber mill. I believe the mill was transported in from some other place. The pond used to contain several trout that were put there by one of the caretakers. They were removed several years ago after Stan-Home went out of business and the park was turned over to the city of Westfield.

Just below the mill pond is another pond and a blacksmith's shop (the building off to the right). The covered bridge is also not original to the park as I recall and was brought in from elsewhere. This pond is generally full of ducks and geese.

The next picture is the frog pond. It is aptly named because it is home to multitudes of green frogs.

The rest of the pictures include the carollon, the gazebo where I asked my wife to marry me, and two of the fountains in the park...I think the only two.







No comments: