Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fast food scootin'

Normally, drive-throughs and 2 wheeled vehicles don't mix too well, but I generally buy what I want and take it to wherever I am headed to eat it there. I'd like to share some of my experiences with the four fast food joints drive-ups I've used while scooting.

Wendy's: Around here I've had a horrible experience with Wendy's. I haven't visited any of the local franchises with my scooter, but I don't plan to. I've found that their drive through service was so horrible in a cage, I didn't even want to bother trying on a scoot. I've waited more than 10 minutes in my car at two of the local Wendy's locations (New Holland, and Lititz). I'd rather not repeat that experience on a scooter, especially if I would have to sit in the sun during the middle of the day.

Burger King: The service at our local Burger Kings seems to be hit or miss. There's one on 72 next to Lancaster Toyota, and there's another in the golden triangle. I've found that their vehicle sensors are not tuned well enough to pick up a scooter in all cases. Sometimes they do, sometimes they do not. Today, when I wasn't picked up on the sensor, I pulled around to the window but they would not let me order there so I told them they'd lost my business and went somewhere else. Their best response would have been, "We're terribly sorry, we'll look into adjusting the vehicle sensor so it is sensitive enough to pick up smaller vehicles. In the mean time, we'll be happy to take your order here."

Sonic: I've only been to the Sonic in Brownstown. I find their food to be dry at times, but I've had little trouble with their service. They never bat an eye when they see me on a scooter, and the service is usually prompt. Sometimes the service is a little slow, but not generally. The fact that they are a drive-in is nice since you can just roll up, push a button, and order. I've used their drive-through once, and the sensor picked up my scooter, so that's good as well.

McDonald's: The biggest fast food chain, and the most friendly to scootsters. I've never had any trouble at any of their drive-ups and their service is always prompt. The food is...well, greasy and calorie intense, but it's McDonald's and this is a review of scooter-friendliness, not the quality of the food. In that light, their sensors always pick up my scoot. The McDonald's locations I've visited are Lincoln Highway (near the K-Mart), New Holland, Lititz, Manheim Pike, and Oregon Pike.

All in all, you might get some chuckles pulling up to a drive-up window, but you should at least get service. From a customer service perspective, not only should fast food joints always have accurate vehicle sensors, but failing that, they should at least be willing to serve scootsters at the window.

No comments: