Wednesday, August 27, 2008

T-max Sighting

Well, I stopped by B&B Yamaha today since I was circulating fliers for the Sept. 13th ride, and as I was pulling into the parking lot, there was something I had not expected to see just yet, and I was suddenly kicking myself for letting my wife get her Rav 4 a month ago (HAR HAR). There, in black and yellow, was a Yamaha T-Max.
Ain't she purty! I really wanted a test drive, but since I had my son along, that wasn't going to happen, and quite honestly, it's more scooter than I want and the styling isn't really my thing. I like the European styling of the Vinos and the Vespas (to name two of the many). The sporty scooter look is nice enough, but it doesn't thrill me as much as a Buddy International or a Kymco People S.

One of the biggest selling points for a vehicle is styling. In the automobile world, some people like Mustangs, and others like Corvettes simply based on their styling. A vehicle can have all the latest technology under the hood, but if it looks like a rolling turd, no one will buy it. On the flip side, a vehicle can have horrible or mediocre performance for its class and some people will do anything they can to get their hands on one, simply based on its looks. Take the PT Cruiser for example. The original PT was basically a repackaged Neon with retro styling (I believe it still is, but they may have tweaked it some), but because it looked like something out of the 40's Chrysler dealerships couldn't keep them on their lots and some were back-ordered. Personally, I liked the styling, but didn't want one of them for myself since I didn't want to look like every other cookie cutter middle class family guy...so I got a Cavalier instead...and ended up owning the same vehicle as about 1/10 of the rest of the population at the time. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

In much the same way, different scoots will appeal to different people, depending on their taste. Some will like the look and feel of the sporty scooters, some prefer the look and feel of maxi-scoots, and others of us like the retro-euro scoots. It's all good.

No comments: