Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Rain Gear

Today's weather forecast was more than a little gloomy. The forecasts I was able to find ranged from cold and wet to cold and mostly wet.

Turns out it was closer to the latter.

I picked up a yellow rain jacket and black rain pants when I was at Valley Powersports in Northampton Mass.. They worked rather well. Not only is the yellow jacket weather-proof, it's also...well, yellow. It even has a reflective strip on each of the arms and accross the back.

I was glad to have the jacket, but the pants didn't work very well when I got into a downpour near Norristown, PA. They didn't work very well because they were in my backpack rather than on my legs.

In all, the trip took close to 12 hours because of rush hour traffic in the Philly area. Of course, the traffic signs or lack thereof in CT and NJ didn't help any. The trip up actually took a bit less time (11.5 hrs), and it wasn't nearly as direct a route.

On a completely unrelated note, when I crossed over into New Jersey, I noted a very interesting phenomenon, which I think is probably unique to the U.S.A.. On three adjacent lots, two on one side of the road and the third accross the street from the second, there were a Hindu temple, a Lutheran Church, and a Jewish Synagogue. How's that for multicultural? And no holy wars to boot!

3 comments:

kz1000st said...

Twelve hours on a scooter Paul, wow. I've done it on a motorcycle, but the seat on my KZ was meant for the job. You must have taken a few breaks. The mileage you did on the Kymco shows that you don't need to buy a certain European scooter to venture miles away from home. Well done.

David said...

what a trip. enjoyed your videos and comments very much. welcome home!

Lee said...

Rain gear? Ho Ho Ho!
Get over here when you can and I'll show you my new John Deere and let you ride my Helix!