Thursday, April 9, 2009

One year

Well, the day is here. One year ago, on this very day, I purchased my first motor scooter, and thus started an extremely enjoyable journey.

With the purchase of my shiny "new" 2006 Yamaha Vino (which depreciated by about $800 when it arrived in my driveway), I entered a unique class of motorists and enthusiasts, which was somewhat unexpected at the time.

Looking back, if I had it to do over again, I think I would have purchased a Kymco Agility 50 as my starter scooter, simply for the fact that it would have cost me $200 less out the door (OTD), and been a 2008 model. As it was, I lost a good chunk of money when I traded my Vino for my People 150. At this point, I certainly don't regret starting out with a 50cc, as it helped me to master the fundamentals of safe riding. When I upgraded to the Kymco People 150, I was better prepared for riding a faster, more powerful machine.

Starting with a 50cc also taught me to enjoy the ride. While it is certainly arguable that even faster bikes allow for enjoyment of the ride, there is something to be said for the plodding pace of a 50. At a top speed of between 35 and 40 mph, it is easy to look around and absorb one's surroundings. I have found that on my 150, a little of that is lost. If I could afford it, I would love to buy my old Vino back from the dealer I traded it to as a secondary scooter for liesurely rides, but I can't, so, there she sits.

I've become somewhat active in a local scooter club. I am something of the "odd man out" as I do not have a scooter or cycle that qualifies as "vintage," but, eventually that may change.

I've also had a change in my perspective, thanks to my scooters. When I need to go someplace, or pick something up, I think, "how can I do this on the scooter so I don't have to take my car?" Scooters have changed my lifestyle, for the better.

Who knows that the next year holds. Perhaps at this time next year I will have added an old Honda to the stable to sit alongside my Kymco as a casual rider. Perhaps it will be a Yamaha Majesty or a Burgman 400. Time will tell.

2 comments:

cpa3485 said...

I can really relate to your post, having bought my first scooter last July. It's a SYM HD 200 (actually 171 cc). Didn't think a 50cc would do it for me and I am very happy with the purchase. I actually sold my car and commute every day to work.

It is a little like a whole new world has opened up to me.

Joe said...

Happy First Year, Paul! Here's looking forward to many more years of reading about your adventures right here.

Yep, I've so often lamented myself about what's lost when you go up from a 50cc to a speedier bike, but I'd never go back now.

A Happy Easter to you and your family!

Joe