Sunday, June 28, 2009

Leaving a legacy...

I'm not generally one to follow the rich and/or famous, but within the last week, I have learned of the deaths of four different celebrities, mostly by chance and word of mouth.

Ed McMahon, perenial perveyor of magazine subscriptions through the Publisher's Clearing house, is probably best known for that and his role as sidekick to Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show. He passed away last Monday.

Michael Jackson, who was one of the shapers of pop music and culture, particularly during the 80's, passed away this past Wednesday. His legacy includes a single white glove, the moonwalk, and allegations of pedophilia.

Actress and celebrity Farah Fawcett, passed away this past Thursday. Her legacy includes her television and movie career (particularly her role on Charlie's Angels), and her fight against cancer.

Billy Mays, the Oxy-Clean guy, is the well known face and voice of everything "$19.95." His annoyingly high pitched voice sold tons of products for a horde of manufacturers. Sadly, his family also grieves this week, as he passed away on Sunday, June 28th.

It struck me this evening as I became aware of this most recent death, that life is indeed short and uncertain. I have often wondered how I will be remembered by those around me. Will I be the annoying guy with the silly sense of humor, or the sensitive man with a heart for people, or just another person on the street with little legacy outside his small circle.

Will any of the celebrities who died recently be remembered for any lasting positive impact they had on the world around them, or will people remember more of the negative aspects of their lives?

It reminds me of the Scripture in Matthew's gospel where the Apostle wrote the words of Jesus Christ:

“Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be."

Christ's basic teaching seems to come back to the idea that my life is bigger than just me. If, after my death, people point to my life and see only my accomplishments, then I have truly accomplished nothing at all. On the other hand, if those I leave behind see that I relied on Christ and gave Him the credit and glory, then I have truly lived.

So then, one day when I am no longer for this earth,
I hope the legacy I leave behind is one of self sacrifice and deference to my fellow man. I hope to be remembered, not for the ways I stepped on others to reach the top, but rather for how I reached out to others to help them reach their full potential.

1 comment:

Steve Williams said...

Thoughtful post. It makes me think about how much noise there is in life and how easy it is to lose sight of the path.

Thank you.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks