Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Gassin' up: government meddling and the small engine

I'm not sure where to start, so I suppose I shall start at the beginning. My neighbor, Lee (well, he lives a few streets over, but that's close enough to call him neighbor), who writes the "life is good" blog in my reading list, suggested that I write an entry about ethanol and its effects on small engines. With the passing of the "cap and trade" bill in the House of Representatives and its likely passage in the Senate in some form or other, ethanol is likely to become more prevalent than it already is.

First off, let's look at what Ethanol is. Basically, Ethanol is an alcohol additive in gasoline which is derived from plants, generally corn. It is generally found in either E10 gasoline (10% Ethanol, 90% gasoline), and E85 gasoline (85% Ethanol, 15% gasoline). From what I have been able to learn, ethanol stores less energy than regular gas, so it does not deliver the same fuel economy one will get out of straight gasoline. Ethanol allegedly has a nasty habit of absorbing water from its surroundings, which would not be terribly good for whatever engine that water laden fuel would then be used in.

I found several farm lobbyist websites and government websites claiming that Ethanol doesn't have any negative effects and that it is perfectly safe for all engines. Of course, I'll trust everything the government and farm lobby tell me without question. Yeah, sure.

Interestingly enough, I found this article from MSNBC, that lays the opposite claim. According to the article, small engine mechanics are finding that ethanol is causing damage to small engine parts, especially in 2 stroke engines. The article explains the reasoning for why ethanol would be damaging to small engines, and it really makes a lot of sense. Larger automobile engines with fuel injections and modern computer systems, are better designed for dealing with ethanol. From what I've heard from several mechanics, the fuel system in newer cars is designed with ethanol in mind. Not so with small engines.

A few other articles I found seem to lay the blame for ethanol's poor performance in small engines on its detergent qualities, which makes a little sense, I suppose. For instance, in this "Boating Life" article from 2006, the writer indicates that as Ethanol moves through the fuel system, it kicks up impurities left behind by old gas, which then get lodged in the fuel filter or injectors. The article does note ethanol's tendency to absorb water and it's dislike for fiberglass fuel tanks. The article is specifically in reference to boat engines, but it seems to me that the information can also be applied to other small engines as well.

For those of us who ride small displacement scooters, especially 2 strokes, this information is critical. Our scoots all have small engines, which puts them at risk if these claims are true.

Fortunately, there are a few enterprising folks who offer "ethanol free" gasoline. I know of four stations in Lancaster county that offer it. Two are Citgo stations (which I don't use due to Citgo's afilitation with dictator Hugo Chaves of Venezuela), and two are independent stations. I have found that my mileage jumps by about %10 when I use ethanol free gasoline. That seems to indicate to me that ethanol is little more than a filler or extender, and really isn't doing anything positive for my scoot. That's an interesting little piece of information there.

It could be perception on my part, but my scooter feels more smooth and less "chuggy" when I use straight gas. With Ethanol, it seems to splutter a little.

Now, I'm all for taking care of God's creation, after all there are commands in the Bible for doing just that; however, in its current incarnation (or should that be...incornation...har har har), it's less efficient than regular gasoline, doesn't really do what it's supposed to, and has the potential for messing with the gaskets and tubing in my scooter. Not really a glowing recomendation in my book.

So, I'll still do my part by using less fuel to get from point A to point B, simply by riding my scooter, but I'm going to do so while also avoiding ethanol. Sure, the government's claims that ethanol won't hurt my scooter may be well intentioned, but I think I'll take a chance on the wager that they are entirely wrong, and go with the tried and true option of using straight gas, at least until the government makes it impossible to buy it anymore.

1 comment:

Lee said...

I spoke to the US Gas store owner in Manheim last week. Even though he doesn't have stickers on his pumps, he has ethanol added to his gas. I tried to ask the driver of the tanker, but he wouldn't talk to me.
There are two Citgo stations in the area, and there are Gulf Stations that are ethanol free.
I have nothing good to say about Venezuela's dictator, but I will use his gas, because it really doesn't matter whether we use his gas or Arab gas. They both mistreat people and it's only a matter of time until things are changed.
If your scoot has rubber parts in the gas chain, you will also have trouble because it eats away the rubber. I have a two stroke mower that is getting harder and harder to start. I would hate to have to tear it down just because of the tree huggers.
BTW, before they started using ethanol, my wife's 02 Accord got 32 mpg. Now, it's 29....every time.
That's enough to make my blood boil. Who's saving energy?