Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Gone Fishin'

a

Today, after work, I decided to go fishing. I wasn't able to find my fly box, so I ended up at "The Evening Rise, Flyfishing Outfitters" on Fruitville Pike. They seem to have a nice selection of fly fishing gear, and a huge selection of flies. I picked up a nice little box and a few flies, including a pair of crayfish imitations, a nice streamer, and a couple of different sized wooly buggers.

I then scooted around to try to find a suitable stream for some fishing adventure. I looked at Little Conestoga Creek, south of East Petersburg, but didn't see a spot with easy access, so since I was in the area, I scooted over to Lancaster Honda to see what they thought of my recent reviews, and their sales manager indicated that he was quite pleased. After a brief chat, I left there, and scooted over to Chiques Creek to see if I could find a place to wet my flyline.

I started to have a bad feeling about my fishing outing, when I started down toward the creek, and saw the tail end of what appeared to be a very large water moccasin, slithering off into the grass. Things only got worse when I went over to the other side of the creek, took off my shoes, stepped down toward the water, and immediately sunk to my knees in the mud. I found a rock to sit on and got most of the mud off my feet, then found a better spot upstream. I didn't catch anything, but I found the peace and quiet of my spot along the water's edge to be refreshing and restorative.

After fishing, I scooted back toward home and stopped in to chat with Lee who writes the "Life is Good" blog. It was good to talk with him, but in typical hyperactive fashion, I had trouble sitting still.


After that, I went to Gargano's Pizza in East Petersburg to pick up something to eat. I ordered a sausage grinder (what most folks outside New England call a "sub"), which was very good. I thought the scoot looked rather "old world" out front.


I took this shot from inside, looking out from the dining room. While I sat there, I had little else to do but play Ms. Pac-Man on my phone and listen to the conversation of the only other folks sitting in the restaurant at 3:30 in the afternoon, a pair of mid-teen girls. While I listened to them chatter, it struck me that women, no matter the age, when talking to each other, seem to often return to one specific subject: clothing (or shopping at the very least). I chuckled softly to myself as I pondered that when my wife and I were first married, we had equal space in our closet. Over the years, that balance has shifted, in her favor.

Most men do not mind this clothing obsession as it means that our ladies are always nicely attired. In fact, I have often felt a sense of pride and fulfilment when I have taken my wife shopping for new clothes when I see the joy it brings her.

It was an odd topic to ponder while I sat there I suppose, but it did bring a smile to my face.

After purchasing my supper, I went along home, parked my scooter, and went inside to enjoy a few episodes of Stargate SG-1 on DVD.

1 comment:

cpa3485 said...

Ahhh, the bachelor life. Fishing sounds great. A few times in the last few years, when I was left alone at the house for a few days, whatever the reason, it always seemed that there was some home improvement project to do.
One year I put in a door. Another time we were working on the kitchen. Fishing and watching Stargate SG-1 sounds a whole lot better. Enjoy the time while you can, they'll be home soon. LOL