Monday, August 31, 2009

My time of torment is at hand...

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate calling technical support...

I have been posting less because my Internet connection has been haphazard again. I loathe calling tech support, to the point of it giving me anxiety. I know that as soon as I get through the automated menus;

"If you are calling about ______, please say 'Yes,' if this is incorrect, please say, 'no'."

and I respond with a clear and easily understood, "No!", I will hear:

"I'm sorry, I did not understand your answer, If you are calling about ______, please say 'Yes,' if this is incorrect, please say, 'no'."

At which point, I hollar, "NO! NO! NO! NO!"

And the agony continues until the system connects me to a technician, herafter known as "Habbib," who answers in a middle eastern accent, "Hello, how may I be helping you today?"

Thankfully, Verizon seems to have notes in their system stating that I am a recurring caller, and Habbib seems to have understood that, evidenced by his actions in that he did not ask me to run any tests, ran a line test on his end, checked the connection logs for errors, and told me a technician would arrive promptly on Friday, somewhere between 8am and midnight.

Friday came and went with no technician, no confirmation call, and no reliable service.

On Sunday, I recieved a call, confirming that service was scheduled for today. Since I had to get my scooter inspected and I need to work later on today, this is not acceptable, so I called the number that it told me to call to reschedule, and after going through the intollerable menus (yet again), the system informed me: "We're sorry, but that office is closed. Please call back during normal business hours."

Well, if they don't have staff in those offices during that time, why is their automated system telling me to call those offices at that time?

This is preposterous.

This morning, I tried the call again, and this time, eventually got ahold of Habbib's cousin, hereafter known as "Achmed." I told him that I need to reschedule for Thursday, the third of September because I will be unavailable should a technician arrive today, tomorrow, or Wednesday. Achmed kindly told me to hold for about 15 minutes while he contacted the dispatcher. He finally came on the line and asked if he could call me back, at which point I acquiesced.

An hour and a half later, while I was waiting for my scooter inspection, Achmed left a message on my voicemail stating that a technician would be along on Wednesday, September third...

Can you hear my screams of anguish here in the depths of the abyss?

Hopefully he got the day wrong and the date right...

I do believe that customer service is a thing of the past and has been replaced with customer processing. If a company wants to offer true customer service, they should staff their call centers with folks who are completely fluent in the language of the customers they are serving, regardless of language. I realize that this will not happen as long as people are willing to be, or are unable to resist being, trodden upon by companies with poor customer service practices in order to receive a less expensive product. If I could afford to switch to another company (back to cable for instance), I would do so in a heartbeat.

**Disclaimer** I mean no disrespect to middle eastern folks. I'm just having a bit of fun. If you are offended, I apologize and will happily email you an enema.

6 comments:

kz1000st said...

The heck with your ongoing phone issues! What's up with your friends Wildfire 50cc? Has your friend's dealer figured out which end of a ratchet handle to use yet?

Scootin' Fool said...

plllbbtt on you. *Insert mischievous grin here*

I will report more as I have info.

His belt did blow again so he's having the dealer check the variator. I have suggested a different dealer, but there's little I can do but make suggestions.

cpa3485 said...

Had to call tech support twice last week on 2 different software issues. Got Americans both times. Kelly, an apparently sweet young thing that works with my tax software was especially fun to work with and although her level of experience was not particularly noteworthy, we eventually got the problem figured out and fixed.
In defense of foreign support personnel I have to admit that at least a couple of times over the years, it was the foreigner that eventually figured out the source of the problem and did a good job, once in a situation that the American couldn't figure it out.
What drives me crazy is when Windows or Norton Internet security sends me updates that run in background mode, and something then eventually conflicts with something else. In that case sometimes the support people are clueless as to what caused the problem originally.

Joe said...

I love the part about mailing the enema - my grandma's treatment for every medical malady under the sun!

You're right, of course. There is no genuine customer service any more. Well, maybe except for AT&T wireless. They seem to be very helpful and English speaking for the most part.

-Joe

kz1000st said...

In case you didn't notice, Joe at Scootin da Valley is having problems with his Piaggio. He took it to the shop with stalling issues and got it back. It seems to still be doing it. Too bad he didn't buy a better grade of scooter, huh? Funny how inept mechanics come in all places isn't it? He just needs his float bowl cleaned.

Scootin' Fool said...

Only trouble with that idea is, I believe the BV-250 is fuel injected.

No float bowl to clean. Could be a gummed up injector though.