Sunday, October 19, 2008

Lancaster County Scooter Dealers

Here's a list of the dealers I've had experience with in the county. I've given them one to five stars depending on the experience I've had with them, and will qualify my experience with each with a brief commentary. In shopping for scooters and accessories, I've seen both good and bad, but more of the former and less of the latter, which is nice. Bear in mind that this is not a comprehensive list of dealers in the county, but rather, a list of those I've had some experience with. Some of the opinions listed in this particular posting vary from previous impressions, but only because my experiences with certain dealers changed over time.


Dealer Name: B&B Yamaha
Location: Salunga, PA
Brands available: Yamaha, Schwinn, Sachs/Tomberlin
Stars: ***
Commentary: I have mixed feelings about this particular dealer. on the one hand, I purchased my first scooter there. On the other, they ripped me off with dealer fees, and after I made the first purchase, I've gotten less than stellar customer service from them. After I traded my Vino for a Kymco, they've been somewhat cold toward me. I still purchased a top case from them and got really good service from their parts dept.. So, as I said, I have mixed feelings. One visitor to this blog mentioned recieving poor service from B&B and I've begun to see some of that myself.

Dealer Name: Bachman's Auto Sales
Location: Ephrata, PA
Brands available: Wildfire (Chinese Make)
Stars: ****
Commentary: I've not made a purchase from Bachman, but I've watched him. He treats his customers well and seems to go over the scooters he sells with a fine tooth comb before they leave his shop. He charges a fair price for oil change and is honest about the quality level of the Chinese scoots not being up to the same standards of others. I give him four stars because of his honesty and low prices, but can't give him five stars since the scooters he sells aren't exactly top drawer.

Dealer Name: Ephrata Honda
Location: Ephrata, PA
Brands available: Honda (what a surprise)
Stars: **
Commentary: Every time I've gone in to Ephrata Honda they've been a bit less than friendly. The times I've had a salesman approach me, they've shown obvious annoyance when I mentioned I was looking for a scooter. They have a good amount of stock (when they aren't sold out), but the level of customer service I've received has been less than stellar. To be fair, I've spoken to folks who've said they received good service from this dealer. I suppose your mileage will vary, so to speak.

Dealer Name: Miller's Cycle Sales
Location: Leola, PA
Brands available: Various, mostly used
Stars: ***
Commentary: I know very little about this dealer, so I could not give them high marks; however, they seem like good folk. I believe it's two brothers that run the place and they seem to know their bikes. The place has the friendly feel that any neighborhood cycle shop should and they seem to handle lots of Chinese scoots, which is good because we've got tons of them rolling around the county. Once downside I did notice is that they seem to have very little inventory. A positive I noted was the few mopeds and "no-peds" they have which apparently run and seem to be in rather good condition. I believe they will also service them should that become necessary.

Dealer Name: Lancaster Honda
Location: East Petersburg, PA
Brands available: Honda (and possibly a Chinese brand soon)
Stars: *****
Commentary: I've not purchased a vehicle from them, but they have treated me very well every time I've gone there, despite the fact that I've never made a "big" purchase from them. I go there to get AMSOIL since that's the only place I've found it close-by to my home. They have given me excellent service, even allowing me to buy a quart of oil 10 minutes after they'd officially closed one night. That's what I call customer service.

Dealer Name: Trans-Am Cycle Sales
Location: Lititz, PA
Brands available: Suzuki, Kymco
Stars: ****
Commentary: I've had only one poor experience with this dealer, and that was with a younger member of their parts dept who wasn't willing to discuss the virtues of their 150-200cc scooters because I didn't yet have my M class permit (though I was in the process and was researching). Despite that poor experience, I was treated well by both their sales dept and their service dept. They did not try to nail me with dealer fees when I purchased my People 150 from them, and they have been very patient with my tendency to ask tons of questions.

As I wander around the county, I'll keep my eye out for other dealers, and as I find them, I will list them along with my impressions.

1 comment:

Angelle & Simon said...

I've thought about doing something like this about the dealers here in Auckland, NZ but haven't really gotten around to it. My husband and I have had varying levels of service but none of the shops (even those specializing in scooters) seem to have given us 5 star treatment yet...