Sunday, October 5, 2008

Here's to returning home safely

Well, I'm home. The scoot got me here safe and sound and there were no further incidents like those that occurred on Friday.

I started out from Dubois, PA at around 11 am and worked my way down through the mountains. It was very chilly (about 4o degrees plus wind chill), but the views were spectacular. One in particular struck me as especially beautiful. The low lying clouds over the Susquehanna river through Clearfield were simply breathtaking.

The weather became much warmer as I came down out of the mountains. By the time I reached Harrisburg, I was scooting through 68 degree weather with bugs splattering against my windshield.

It was wonderful to finally arrive at home and rest my bottom, yet I was sad to leave my wife's family. They are wonderful people and my visits to their home are always pleasant.

I spent some time scooting around the hills of Clearfield and Jefferson counties. The new scoot really seems to fit well with the rural landscape. I also found it well suited to the windy mountain roads.

The foliage in that part of the state has already started to turn. On more than one occasion, I felt that I was traversing a tunnel of autumn colors.

The roads of rural Pennsylvania are some of the most beautiful. Perhaps that is what calls me out into nature, much like Thoreau.

No comments: