Thursday, October 9, 2008

Can one be a hypocondriac about one's vehicles?

I took the scoot to the dealer today and they looked it over and took it for a spin. Apparently the issue I was having is not at all related to the front brakes, but rather to the natural way the scooter functions. The pulling or dragging sensation I was feeling is actually coming from the CVT and only really happens at higher speeds (40 +). It's a natural part of the engine function. The mechanic rolled the front tire and explained that with the type of brakes I have (something about a floating caliper or something like that), there will always be some resistance, but the amount of resistance I was seeing is normal.

Prior to going to the dealer, i decided to try to re-create my experience from last Friday. I took the Silver Streak to a local road where I could test it and it ran all the way up to 70 on the speedo just fine with no stalling. I wasn't able to get her any past that as she seemed to be at her limit. Apparently the fuel system cleaner did the trick. Again, the mechanic explained that if any of the jets or valves in the carb were gummed up, it could have caused the engine to be starved of gas at high speed, which would, in turn, adversely affect the operation of the vehicle.

I killed two stones with one bird apparently by using the fuel system cleaner.

At this point, I'm feeling quite relieved that those two scares are behind me.

1 comment:

Marc said...

And, it's always nice to hear it straight from the experts. ;) Ride safe!