Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My day is looking up!

Well, I'm pleased to note that my home state has finally done something intelligent as far as politics are concerned.

For the first time in, what is it...almost 80 years, a Republican will be sent to the U.S. Senate from Massachusetts. That is amazing to me. Perhaps it signals change. Perhaps not. But just the same, I'm feeling a lot better.

As a bit of context, I am not a Republican and really don't have any love for the Republican party. I am a Libertarian at heart and unfortunately, both of the main line parties currently seem to stand for big government, just varying degrees of the same.

2 comments:

kz1000st said...

I love all this "Happy Days Are Here Again" because one Republican has been sent from Massachusetts. One whole year since a new President has taken over. Have you noticed that the Dow is over 10,000? It takes more than a year for a country to recover from eight years of economic neglect. Even Roosevelt couldn't fix the Depression in a year.

Scootin' Fool said...

I would submit that history shows, Roosevelt did not fix the depression. From what I've read, World War II brought us out of the depression, not Roosevelt.

Some would argue that Roosevelt actually made the depression worse in some ways. I can't say one way or another on that since it's not my area of expertise, I just know that others have made that claim.

I'm not sure how you got "happy days are here again" out of my cynicism though. The fact is, that while Brown is more conservative than I would expect from a Mass. Republican, having lived there in my youth, I know that, for the most part, a Mass Republican is often on par with a moderate Democrat from any other state. Hence my cynicism.