Thursday, July 16, 2009

Finally! Some time off!

Vacation time is here at last! Unfortunately, we won't be traveling, but at least I'll have some time to spend with my family. I'll probably scoot around a bit, and in fact I've thought about taking a day to run down into Maryland to look at the horse farms.

Today, on my way home from work, I stopped in at the campus of my alma mater, Lancaster Bible College, to check out some changes to the campus that were completed a year or two ago, but I had never gotten around to seeing.


The campus has changed a great deal since I graduated in 1998. Esbenshade hall was a dormitory when I was in college. It has been changed into offices.

It struck me that scooters fit in well on a college campus. Looking back on it now, I wish I had thought to talk to my parents about getting a scoot back when I was in college since it would have given me more opportunities to get off campus employment. It would also have facilitated getting back and forth to internships and service projects as well.

College students don't generally have a ton of extra money, so a fuel sipping vehicle with a low initial cost and cheap insurance rates, is perfectly suited to their financial situation. It might not suit every college kid, but it beats not having a vehicle at all. Add to that the fact that scooters fit the geek mystique, and you have a guaranteed winner!

3 comments:

Joe said...

Talk your parents into getting you a scooter in college?!

If my mom had any say in it right now I'd still not have one.

Scootin' Fool said...

In my case, my dad had ridden a scoot in his younger days, so it may not have been as difficult to convince him. My mom might have been an entirely different story.

kz1000st said...

I always read these things and feel extremely lucky. My Dad was a motorcyclist so it was never a question of us getting a bike. We just had to let him try it. Of course Mom couldn't say anything about it at that point, especially since it was our money anyway.