Monday, July 13, 2009

Helmet? I don' need no steenkin' helmet! Sure....

As of yesterday, it had been two months and eleven days since I last drove my car. I've driven my wife's car, but only when I was taking her places, so that does not count. I've been trying to sell my car for a few months now, and letting it sit in front of my house wasn't helping me to show off the "For Sale" notices in the windows.


It was actually nice to drive my little Cavalier. I put the stereo way up, rolled the windows down, and went for a little joyride on my way home from work. It wasn't the same as riding the scoot, but it was nice in its own way.

Today, my son was riding his dirtbike around and he accidentally goosed the throttle, sending himself to the ground. Thankfully, he was doing as he had been told, and had his helmet on, so the helmet took the pounding that his head would have. Other than that, he has a little bruise on his shoulder. It was a good lesson for him to #1, ride carefully, and, #2, always wear his helmet.


After his little spill, his bike was revving wildly at idle. I fiddled with it a little bit, then realized "duh! Idle screw!" A quick twist, and it was back to normal.

It seemed to have been the night for kids in my neighborhood to have dirtbike accidents. Just down the road, a real little guy (maybe 4), on an old Yamaha 50 (sounded like a 2 stroke), plowed directly through a neighbor's wooden fence. He hadn't quite gotten the idea of turning. Thankfully, he too was wearing a helmet and only recieved an injury to his self confidence.


Later on, when my son was back riding, I was watching him when a passing neighbor pointed out a small crittur in the grass. It was a tiny mole, who had apparently come out of his tunnel due to the vibrations of the dirtbike. Neat little bugger, but I didn't get the best picture of him.

It was nice to see my son brush himself off (so to speak), then get right back in the saddle. He's getting to be quite the little rider.

1 comment:

cpa3485 said...

When I sold my car last year, I parked it at a grocery store parking lot near the entrance. It had good visibility, but still took awhile to get a bite. But the bite did eventually happen and I reeled the guy in. One of the best deals I ever made and although I loved my car, I really don't miss it that much. Be patient and it will sell.