Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ooooh!! Pretty lights!

Well, I can no longer say that I have never been pulled over by an officer of the law. One of Manheim Township's finest took a dislike to the LED's on the front of my scooter tonight and decided to pull me over. Of course, it didn't help that I was doing 53 in a 40mph zone.

I stated that Title 75 (the PA vehicle code), states that LED pods and strips may be used for vehicle lighting, and he stated that some other longwinded piece of paper specifies that blue and red can't be used on the front. He suggested that I stick to amber. I apologized for speeding, citing that the speedometers on scooters are notorious for being wrong, and stated that I was just enjoying the wind and hadn't really been paying attention, which was true.

In the officer's defense, he was really cool about it. After detaining me for about ten minutes, he let me go with a warning, and I continued on my way.

So, even though I can no longer say that I have never been stopped, I can still say that I have yet to get a citation for a moving violation.

1 comment:

masukomi said...

The blue and red light restriction is standard in many (all?) states. The logic being that they don't want anyone to mistake you for an emergency vehicle or you pretending to be one.

I think it's a pretty sensible rule and not one that really restricts anyone in a bad way.