Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I've been riding People hard for six months...

I'm sorry, the pun was too good to resist.

As of today, I have had my Kymco People 150 for exactly six months. It seems only logical that I should relate my impressions on the vehicle to date.

I've put over 3300 miles on this scooter since I purchased it. Had it not been for the winter months, she'd probably have more miles on her, but, as it stands, it was a chilly winter. Now that the spring is here, she's seeing more road time, much more.

The engine still runs smoothly, though my maximum speed seems to have dropped a little. This doesn't seem terribly odd since I experienced the same phenomenon on my Yamaha Vino. The carburetor remains a little finicky, but fuel system cleaner seems to fix that quickly. Riding in extreme cold can be troublesome as the clutch does not seem to like the cold, and the throttle tends to stick below about 20 degrees F. Once the engine warms sufficiently, the clutch engages perfectly, and the engine putts along nicely.

On warmer days, there are no issues with the clutch slipping and the warm-up time is not as long.

The seat remains reasonably comfortable for long rides. It could use a little more padding, but a sheepskin would probably do the trick nicely.

The scooter has held up well to the winter weather. I do think that next year I will avoid riding during or just after snowstorms as the salt cakes on the engine housing and muffler, which will damage them both over time. The muffler is easy and not terribly expensive to replace, not so the entire engine.

Body panels are not very easy to remove. I'd like to remove them myself so I may access the valves on the engine for the upcoming check that they need. Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out how to get the side panels off. Some warm weekend, I'll need to tinker with that some more.

Documentation and support from Kymco seem to be somewhat lacking. I'd like to see an online service manual, but have come up empty handed so far. I was given a link to one on Kymco Italy's website, but the link didn't work.

Tire wear doesn't seem to be an issue so far. The tread remains even and in good condition.

The brakes are still good. They squeal a little when wet, but work just fine otherwise.

So far, the Kymco People 150 seems to remain a solid little scooter. After I've had the Silver Streak for a year, I will have to revisit my opinions.

2 comments:

Drake said...

There are service manuals out on the web. I found one for the P150 at http://kymcoscooters.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/people-125150-service-manual/

kz1000st said...

What a coincidence. I'll have my CCS for 8 months next week but I only have 1050 miles on it. Of course it's no People 150. The seat reminds me of my 1974 Kawasaki 500 (wooden) and the suspension is pure 60s Japanese. The engine is willing and despite the fact that it's at the point where it should need a valve adjustment, it starts and idles smoothly. The brakes work and it tracks well for something with 10 inch wheels. It's perfect for light shopping and keeps my car in the driveway on numerous occasions. My only problem is keeping the motorcycles from grumbling at it, they get jealous that it spends so much time outdoors.