Sunday, December 21, 2008

Too cold to ride?

I'd originally thought that I'd never find a day when it would be too cold to ride. Tonight, I found that day. It wasn't too cold for me, but it was too cold for my scooter. I've decided that when I ride to work, I'm going to start putting the scooter in the garage at work so that when I come out of work at 10:00 pm, the throttle isn't frozen.

I got on the scoot tonight to ride home, and tried the throttle. It moved, but then it stuck open. I was able to adjust it manually, but it was sticky. To make the ride even more interesting, the wind was gusting so strongly that I almost got blown over a few times, then, another vehicle came up behind me along Landis Valley road, and I thought, oh great, someone's going to tailgate me in this awful wind, with my sticky throttle. Then his lights went on, you know, the red and blue ones, so suddenly, my thought changed to "oh crap!"

I pulled over, he went around me, and I breathed a sigh of relief. There must have been something going on up toward the airport because there was another officer buzzing through the intersection at 501 and Valley road.

When I finally arrived at home, my entire body hurt from fighting the wind. Rain, light snow, even a little ice, I can deal with, but I hate wind. Wind is unpredictable and can really catch you off guard. So, from now on, when I know it will be very windy, I'll leave my scooter at home and take the car. I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid.

Ride safe.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Brave man to be riding in this weather. Too cold for me, even with my new Buff!
I think I'll head south for the winter.

Drake said...

I've been riding in this weather but dress for the wind chill. There is a lot of wind in Oklahoma so it isn't unusual for me to be riding against the wind or leaning into a 40 mph wind going 50 mph.