Thursday, December 4, 2008

Back to the woods

I love the outdoors, especially during the fall and winter. Deer season opened on Monday here in Pennsylvania, and I had my first opportunity to get out into the woods this season. I took my Daniel Wession .357 Magnum revolver with me, hopped on the scooter and went up toward SGL 46. My best friend was planning to meet me on the edge of another friend's hunting land and we planned to walk through to the game lands. When I got to the turn-off, I was reminded of how interesting it can be to drive a scooter on mud. It rained last night, so the dirt road was slick. I went under the Turnpike, through a tunnel that a small creek runs through in company with the dirt road, and worked my way up the muddy road on the other side with my back tire spinning most of the way. I was able to get up the hill and parked the scoot on it's center stand on a fairly level spot.

My buddy arrived a little after I did and we geared up and walked into the woods. It was a very pleasant morning for a hike. There was a little light rain now and again, but only for a few minutes at a time. We walked and talked for about 2.5 miles, but didn't see any deer, not that we were seriously expecting to see any since we were making plenty of noise. All in all, it was relaxing, though my thighs are feeling the strain of the exercise.

I left the woods around 9:30 and went back down mountain road toward Rt. 72, and stopped to take a photo of "Hope Church" which is a pretty little stone church building at the corner of Mt. Hope Drive and Mountain Road, just north of Elstonville. Unfortunately, the building's front door was recently boarded up. Just the same, I got a picture of the building with my scooter out in front.

No comments: