Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!

Well, 2009 is a bit over an hour away. I'm not really one to get excited about the change from one year to the next. Watching a bunch of drunk people while they in turn watch a giant ball of glass lowered from a tower in Time's Square just doesn't thrill me. In my opinion, one year is much like another and every day should be a day for new opportunity and growth. Much ado is made of the celebration of every new year, but It seems a hollow facade to me.

I rode my scooter today in the snow flurries that visited this area. It was cold, but pleasant, until the wind picked up later on. As I rounded a corner, someone tooted their horn in greeting. It turned out to be my fellow blogger, Lee, who's blog is featured in my links.

As a side note, I've recently discovered a new word through some of my co-workers. Three of my co-workers are from Ethiopia. They have asked me several times about my "dok dokeh." I'm not sure if that's the proper spelling, but it is an onomatopoeia in Amharic, the primary tongue of Ethiopia for the sound of a single cylinder engine on a motorbike. So, whenever I see them, I joke about riding my dok dokeh around in the cold.

Well, despite my feelings on the celebration of the New Year, I wish you all a pleasant one.

3 comments:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very good......

Joe said...

Happy New Year!!! May you be blessed abundantly in 2009 with good riding weather and everything else that's good.

- Joe at Scootin' da Valley

Angelle & Simon said...

You must be very hearty and brave to be out there in weather like that - I know I always felt so as a winter rider in Canada. I'm so fortunate to now live in a place that has better weather than I used to and not to have to be a daily rider anymore.