Sunday, July 31, 2016

Rain rain go away!

Not a good day today.

It started off good enough. I went to church, played guitar, went to a baptism after church, then decided to take a back route home...that was my first mistake.

The last few days have seen heavy thunderstorms with torrential rains. You've probably guessed where this is going. I had a choice between traveling a more familiar road or taking a twisty back road with which I was unfamiliar. I took the latter, which was my second mistake.

As I crested a hill, I noticed that the road curved suddenly and sharply to the left, and there was a washout across the road from the previous night's storms. I used my brakes as I was able before the bend, but there was nothing I could do that would avoid some kind of crash. It was either go down on the gravel and probably break another bone (or bones) or head for the softer earth beside the road.

The softer earth cushioned my fall and I ended up with only a few small abrasions and some sore muscles, oh, my jeans and shirt got rather muddy too, which matters you know. I like that shirt.

The scooter...well, at this point I think I may be better off just parting it out. The forks are bent so badly that the handlebar is turned off to the left, and who knows if the steering stem is bent. It's really too bad, it was a very nice machine despite the few dents.

Well, tomorrow I will look it over some more, if I don't just stay in bed. I think I'm going to wish I had some oxy.

For pictures, see: http://scootinfool.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-aftermath.html

1 comment:

kz1000st said...

That's too bad. It isn't just wet roads that get you. I almost dumped on a road that had just been "Oil and Stoned". The thick pile of pebbles appeared half way around a curve but I managed to straighten up the scooter and head off the road, stopping on the grass. It's a good thing for me I was on the scooter. I thought about taking a motorcycle on the trip and would have been traveling much faster with possible bad results. As it was I just soiled my pants.