Sunday, February 28, 2010

A retreat and a hockey game.

I believe I mentioned last year that my church has a men's retreat on the last weekend of February every year. This year, as we have the last four years, we stayed in a cabin at Caledonia State Park, just outside Chambersburg. It was a good experience for me since I've had a bit of a rough time of it lately. To be in idyllic surroundings with men who are like brothers to me was a huge encouragement.

When I came home this afternoon, I found my son shoveling the remaining snow from our driveway. It was a few minutes after 3:00, so I gave him a hug and told him the U.S. and Canada were about to play for the gold medal in Hockey.

And what a game it was!

The first two periods were a little dissapointing as the Canadians got two goals, but the U.S. eventually got one, and then got a second with less than 10 seconds left in the third period. It was an intense game and was a blast to watch as it went into overtime. Canada was still able to score a third goal and win the game, but wow!

I'm not much of a sports fan, but I love hockey. I've only been to a few games, none of them NHL games, and I don't watch it much, mainly because I generally have other things to do, but when I can sit down to watch a game here or there, I generally find myself grinning ear to ear, much as I do when riding my scooter.

It was also a very pleasant thing to have my son sitting on the couch wide eyed enjoying the game next to me.

So, all in all, I haven't been out riding this weekend, but it's been a great one all around.

No comments: