Saturday, February 13, 2010

Faith for sale!

I consider myself a man of faith. I'm not religious per se, since I don't perform any rituals by which I hope to secure my eternal destination. I wear my faith outwardly, but not on my garments, rather through my behaviors. I don't even wear jewelry other than a simple gold band on my left ring finger. I believe that if it is necessary for people to learn of my faith by my apparel, it is no faith at all.

I used to have a fish on my car, but I did that to keep myself accountable while driving.

That said, I was playing a game on Facebook, when I noted an add for the following:


I was repulsed. Even now, I cannot find the words to adequately express how utterly revolting it is to me when people use the Christian faith as a gimmick to make a quick buck. Perhaps it is the same revulsion and disgust that drove Jesus to pick up a whip and start turning tables over in the temple.

3 comments:

David said...

I find it interesting that the sales site for this thing repeatedly states it to be "one of a kind," yet part of a "collection," and in truth they are apparently mass-produced. The site claims each is "hand-crafted," so i guess that's how they're legally escaping perjuring themselves with false advertising; however, my definition of "one of a kind" constitutes a much more narrow scope. It is quite distasteful, both the object itself, and other practices of its creators/issuers as well.

At the same time, there is also a part of me that can relate to some degree, *if* this is a legitimate piece of artwork, to the extent that the artist should be suitably compensated for his/her work. That said, the obvious gaud and excessive use of Christian symbols seems to indicate that this is more someone trying to feed upon the Christian and/or religious naive.

kz1000st said...

Sorry Paul, I've seen worsethings than this. Sermon on the Mount dishes, all sorts of plaques and preachers on TV telling you to send them your money. Faith for sale is big business. It's even worse plastered on the side of a van.
Didn't Martin Luther start a Reformation over this sort of thing?

Scootin' Fool said...

Certainly there are many other examples of this kind of behavior. This one; however, fit in with this blog since it has to do with two wheelers.

The Reformation, with Luther, Huss, Calvin, and several others as its loudest voices, did indeed take issue with the idea of taking advantage of the faith of others for personal gain.

I also hate the commercials with the little crystal cross you can peak into to see the Lord's Prayer (or something like that). It's repulsive.