Monday, November 9, 2015

A red cup? That's a problem? Really?

I generally keep this space to topics related to scooters and motorcycles. Of course, I also sometimes address matters of faith, and today, today I'm so furious I wish the written word had audible volume. 

Christmas is coming. Christmas as a religious holiday is a celebration and remembrance of the birth of God's Son in a human body. Historians and Bible scholars generally agree that Jesus Christ was not born on December 25th, but rather sometime in spring (when lambs are generally born), or possibly summer. 

Pine trees, snow flakes, sled rides, snowmen, mistletoe, and any number of other things that are associated with the Christmas holiday, are human additions to the celebration. These things have absolutely no relevance to the celebration of Christ's birth and are simply human tradition. 

So, along comes Starbucks and they have the audacity to not put any of these traditional images on their "holiday" cups. We'll leave the stupidity of renaming everything Christmas related to "holiday," for another day, there's another stupidity that's far more glaring. 

So, you're going to boycott Starbucks and accuse them of trying to take Christ out of Christmas because they went minimalist? You're that shallow, that privileged, that spoiled and pampered that this is what you're going to protest? Really?!!!

GROW UP!!

Ok, I feel better now. Actually,  no I don't. This infuriates me!

There are many things that are worth protesting, but this is not one of them. The purpose of Jesus' Christ's birth is the salvation of mankind through his death on the Cross in our place. God's son did not come to earth in human form just so we can have cups with snowflakes on them. 

If this is what is important to you, I question your understanding of the scriptures. I question your grip on reality. 

Jesus' words are recorded in Matthew 10: "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves. But beware of men, for they will hand you over to the courts and scourge you in their synagogues; and you will even be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles."

With that in mind, is it really worth making a big fuss over a paper cup? 

2 comments:

Joe said...

"There are many things that are worth protesting, but this is not one of them."

I think I have similar thoughts about many issues these days. There's entirely too much protesting going on out there about nonsense - protesting that cheapens the true issues that deserve protesting.

On the other hand, when I read about Starbucks' decision to do the red cup thing, I did take a moment to pride myself for NEVER drinking the swill they call coffee.

-Joe

kz1000st said...

You know what Paul? Christmas is a spirit that either fills your soul or doesn't. I get the same feeling about the controversy of "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas". Listen, if people take the time to say anything everyone should be happy. In this age of rude, curt individuals who use the excuse of being so stressed and too busy to be polite. It's all just bad breeding and self centered attitudes that besmirches the occasion.