Friday, July 24, 2015

memory lane

Most of my riding lately has been local, but in the last week I've been riding over to the area near the mall because that's where the military recruiters offices are. Anyone who's been paying any attention to the news is by now aware of the sad events last week in Chattanooga TN, and that many citizens have been quietly and calmly keeping watch over recruitment offices, hoping to prevent a recurrence. I've been doing what little I can to help.


This got me to thinking, since I'm armed while standing watch, when didnI learn to shoot, and I remembered getting my first BB gun when I was ten and my dad telling me, "Always keep the barrel pointed at the ground until you're ready to shoot. Never ever point it at another person. It is not a toy." I'm sure he said more than that, but it's so long ago I can't recall.


Then I remember Mr. Osowski. I don't recall his first name, but he was a former CIA agent to whom I delivered papers when I was 14. I don't remember why, but for some reason he took a looking to me and would take me fishing, and to the firing range. So it was from my dad I learned basic gun safety, and it was from Mr. Osowski that I learned to actually shoot.


We spent hours at the range. It was there I grew to love lever action rifles. It was there I fired a .45 for the first time. It was there I learned to be accurate with my shots, and added to the advice from my dad the wisdom of a man who had served in the military and in the CIA.


Those are memories I will treasure.

No comments: