Thursday, August 29, 2013

Lessons learned

About a month ago, I became the parent of a teen driver. A few near heart attacks later and I think my son is starting to get slightly less terrifying behind the wheel.

He wants a motorcycle of course, and in the innocence of youth, doesn't quite understand the costs involved. His dream is a sportbike:


The reality will be a 50cc scooter to start, then when he gets the money, he can buy himself a bigger bike.

As for the driving, he's doing pretty well so far. There's still plenty of room for improvement, but I'm screaming in terror a little less often. Tonight, he learned an important lesson about road debris. While we were driving down Manheim Pike toward home, a large piece of plastic somehow came up off the road and hit the side view mirror.


It was a battery cover from something or other; I can only assume a boat of some sort. In any case, something like this is startling enough when it hits a car, but for someone on a bike, it could cause a lot of trouble.

On a bike or scooter, as any experienced motorcyclist will know, hitting road debris can have disastrous results. This gave us a bit of a teachable moment about the dangers of stuff in the roads. The battery cover seems harmless enough, being lightweight plastic, but it made a surprisingly big scratch on the plastic mirror cover and would have hurt horribly if it hit an unprotected or lightly protected body part.

So, my son has learned a lot in the last month of driving...and I'm starting to find more white hairs every day.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Wow! We've been here this long? He's old enough to drive already? I remember old posts of yours talking about him being a little boy and now this? I'm just amazed!

Scootin' Fool said...

He's still physically somewhat small (5'2"), but he'll be 17 at the beginning of November. I've been blogging since he was 11. Pretty crazy.