Saturday, June 12, 2010

Learning curve

When I first learned to ride a scooter, it was an old Honda Aero 50. This was in the fall of 1993. I was in my first year of college at a little known Bible institute in Pottersville New York. One of the guys in my dorm, remembered now only by his nickname, Shleppi, owned the scooter and let me use it on occasion to pop around here and there.

It cruised at about 25, only hitting 30 to 35 on downhill slopes, but putzed along well enough with it's 4 stroke engine. I didn't know much about scooters then, but it got me into wanting one for myself eventually.

So, the time finally came when I would have my first scooter delivered to my home. The little red bugger arrived on the back of a truck, and I decided to ride it to work, only to nearly run into a curb while pulling out of my development.

Now, over two years later, I'm teaching my wife how to ride. I've learned from my experiences and she has come a long way in the four practice rides she has taken. Yesterday, we went back to the parking lot near the East Petersburg pool, and she rode with confidence. She is actually considering going to get her permit this week so we can ride some back roads together.

I wish I could get her a scooter of her own, perhaps a cute little 125 with a coat of pink paint, but money is tight at the moment, so she will just have to use mine.

It's been exciting for me to see how quickly she has taken to riding. She's still a little wobbly, but she is getting the idea of leaning and cornering. We'll still take it slow for a while, but I am thrilled to finally have my wife as a riding companion.

4 comments:

Lee said...

Paul,
They have the motorcycle training course over at the Fire school. It's a two day course over the weekend, and you get your motorcycle license at the end after the test.
They give you safety instructions and you get lots of riding time to practice what they preach.
I went when I first started and learned all kinds of things I never would have thought of on my own. It's saved my skin a number of times.
Oh, it's fun too!

Scootin' Fool said...

Oh, the MSP is definitely in the cards for her, but knowing my wife, she's not ready for a formal class yet.

kz1000st said...

Here you go Paul, not cute, but Hondas are built like trucks and last forever. This one pstill has tons of life left and is at a bargain price.
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/1738299746.html

Scootin' Fool said...

Wow. That does look nice. I wish I had $600 in my back pocket, but I do not.

I don't plan to get her anything all that soon, but if that one is still for sale when I'm ready to get her something, it would be a great choice.