Wednesday, April 7, 2010

No Speedo? No problem

Shortly after purchasing my Sabre, I became aware of a glaring issue; The speedometer did not work. I took it back to the shop where it was purchased and the mechanic tried to fix it, but only succeeded in fixing it for a mile or so.
I have a replacement sensor and cable waiting to be installed, but cannot afford to pay someone to do the work, nor do I have the right tools to remove the headlight assembly so I can get at the plug.

I needed another option since I will be traveling on the bike this summer. I have a GPS, but buying a mount for it would cost nearly $40.00. I do not have that kind of money at the moment, so I needed another solution. Then it hit me: Velcro!


A modified rectangle of Velcro on the back of the GPS and a contoured piece on the bike itself, and voila! Instant speedo!

I tried it out on the highway, and it stayed put perfectly. I had to yank on it a bit to get it unstuck!

I also gave my scooter the same treatment, though without quite the same results.


I had previously used the suction cup post stuck to the plastic lens above the speedo as a mount but found that not only did this obscure too much of the built-in display, it was not secure and the GPS was prone to pop out.

With the velcro just above the speedometer, I am able to see enough of the readout to compare it with the GPS speed meter, and I can see my clock and gas gauge. Additionally, it also sticks very well.

Now I just need to get a power port on both my scooter and Sabre so I can use the GPS for extended riding.

3 comments:

David said...

neato, hurray for velcro! :)

Lee said...

Be careful, Paul.
The glue on the back of the velcro may not hold with the change in temperatures.
I was using velcro for my garage door opener. It worked great until it got cold and the adhesive let loose.
If you stop by some afternoon, I'll let you dig through my tools and maybe we can puzzle out the speedo cable?

Scootin' Fool said...

Yeah, I wondered about temp changes. For the moments it works.

I think I'll take you up on that offer. :) I need a 6mm metric alan wrench with a long shaft and a way to get some leverage. It's all hex sockets on the screws on the headlight assembly.