Thursday, March 9, 2023

Crashing and the aftermath

 On August 19th, 2022, there was a chance meeting of my 2013 Honda PCX150 and the right side of a 1999 Ford Taurus. It has been almost seven months since that event, but it still plagues me with residual pain from a contusion on my right side that has yet to heal completely. The broken ribs, broken collarbone, and even the concussion have faded, though I still have some mild aphasia. 

Running into the side of a car rendered a few lessons. 

1) do not make a move to merge or assume a lane until the intentions of other motorists in the area are completely clear. In this situation, I saw what I perceived was the driver's move to assume the left lane. He turned on his blinker at the last moment to turn right, but I did not see it due to the angle of the sun and the red color of the blinker, which blended into his tail lamp. I assumed the right side of the lane in anticipation of him following those on the left, and then he turned right directly in front of me. 

2) always wear proper gear. My armored jacket saved me some serious road rash and my helmet prevented a direct injury to my skull. My boots, though scuffed through to the toe protectors, held up and kept my feet from injury. As the above picture shows, my helmet collided with the side of the car and that would have been my temple. 

3) Don't be in a rush. I wanted to get somewhere, so I wasn't focused on the job at hand...and I ended up on the ground and then in an ambulance. 

I still don't remember the ambulance ride. I remember crashing, and I remember laying on the ground, but after that, nothing until I was being wheeled in to the ER. 

The good news is, I survived to ride another day and I've been able to pursue a goal. As this is being written, day 175 is accomplished, of the perfect year goal I set for myself. 

Tomorrow is another day. I will make it count toward something. 



No comments: