Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Things to be thankful for...

Thanksgiving is two days away.

It's going to be a rough one for me.

My son is away from home due to some unfortunate choices he made (I won't go into detail to preserve his dignity). My wife is in the hospital. My mother lives six hours away, and I wouldn't dream of visiting my wife's family without her (I don't fancy the pain I would have to endure).

But...I think Solomon said it best: "There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." My best friend's family invited me to join them for dinner on Thursday. I am so touched by their generosity and his continued support over the last several years.

My friend Kevin has been there since college. He helped me buy my first car and my first house. He stood with my wife and I when we adopted our son. And he has stood by me through all the ups and downs of my wife's illness over the last five years.His family accepts me as well, even if I am a little odd and scatterbrained.

I am thankful for family. Not just kin, but real family. Those who take us in and love us, even though they have no real reason to.

We've lost our sense of the value of this most simple and precious thing. Wal-Mart and Target will be opening on Thursday afternoon. They are counting on Americans valuing the saving of a few dollars, rather than cherishing each others company.

I won't be shopping. I'll enjoy the company of my friends; my family, then I will go visit with my wife in the hospital, after which I will go home and hug my puppy and be thankful that God has given me so much more than I deserve. 

No comments: