Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Gas and go...

It's one of the main talking points in the news again, just as it was three years ago. Gas is getting pricey again, by U.S. standards at least.

Another phenomenon has re-surfaced as well; folks are asking me questions about my scooter and talking about getting one for themselves.

Gas may not be as expensive here as it is in other parts of the world, but when you've only got so much budget to work with, spending above a dollar more per gallon than we were a year ago can make things interesting.

While it's not really the reason I own the scoot, it's sure nice to look at a $5.00 total instead of a $40.00 total when I stop at the gas pump. Filling up my wife's car threatens to send me into a panic, but the scooter, and to some extent, the cycle, are far less stressful at the pump.

My hope is that with this new surge of interest in scooters (and motorbikes) will come an influx of riders and fewer cagers. While there will be a learning curve for these new riders, I will cross my fingers and trust that they will come to enjoy their new mode of transport, thereby evening the odds against the crazies who want to kill us with their large steel and plastic enclosures.

1 comment:

kz1000st said...

With the weather finally relenting this week I was able to take the scooter to work twice and leave the car at home. It saved me about three gallons of fuel at close to $4.00 per. I'm hoping the weather continues to cooperate since the savings will be colossal. It was costing me $64.00 a week to fill the car with all the driving I was doing. Using the scooter I should be able to cut that down to somewhere around $15.00